Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Santa Barbara

Goleta Beach, where I try to spend as much time as possible when I am here.
From Salt Lake to Santa Barbara is a long-ass drive.  Chuck and I know the drill, though.  How about all of you?  What do you do when you are on road trips?  We focus on getting it done.  This means challenging the bladder to need emptying at about the same time the gas tank needs filling.  Otherwise, we don't stop.  There will be white cheese popcorn and Red Bull and Diet Dr. Pepper.  We will switch drivers at the gas pump and take turns paying for the gas.  We will watch the outside temperature as we drive across the Mojave Desert; waiting for Las Vegas, then leaving it in the rear-view mirror:  101..104...105...101...98.  We will leapfrog with other cars that we think are interesting-  another Fiat 500:  white with the temporary plates still on it.  A Nissan Cube with green wheels and headlights.  Every time we pass the Fiat, the driver is flipping her hair and jamming to her tunes.  Not until we pull in to the same gas station do we see hat the driver is in fact a man.  The Nissan Cub pulled in at that moment as well.  We listen to Chuck's iPod and NPR (when we can get it) and Ska.  All of the usual Nevada landmarks slide past: Zzyzx Road, the giant light-up thermometer that hasn't worked in years, the defunct water park in the middle of the desert.  We don't have deep conversations.  Sometimes we talk and sometimes we just stare out at the creosote bushes and Joshua trees and think our own thoughts.  I have learned to take a baseball cap on this drive, because the setting sun gets in my eyes and my sun visor is not big enough to be much use.  We stop to tighten the tandem on the bike rack and Chuck finds a Happy Meal skateboard on the ground when he goes off to take a pee.  He gives it to me so my action figures will have something new to play with on the rim of the bathtub.

Road trip habits, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting trip! My hubby used to refuse to stop very much for potty breaks when our three girls were young....and they thought they would pop! Poor things!
    Now that hubby is retired and getting to the age of enlarged prostate issues he stops a lot! Ha! (Shhh!...Don't tell him I said that!) :)

    Happy Saturday!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun!
    When we drive to Cornwall each year (5 hours there, 5 hours back) we leave at 4.30am to avoid heavy traffic. Yes, that early! First stop is always for a full english breakfast. I always travel with hubby and father in law, which my hubby is pleased about because I'm a terrible road trip passenger, I always fall asleep and I don't like driving on motorways! At least Mark and his dad can keep each other company and share the driving.

    ReplyDelete