1. Queen Jody, the school cook, loves to steal my coffee mug and surreptitiously wash it. She looks inside it and thinks, "Gross!" I look inside it and think "Flavor patina."
2. I got to use the word "internecine" in a sentence this week.
3. At the local grocery store the avocados are coded wrong. They currently require me to show ID in order to purchase them.
5. Chuck and I took our tandem on a ride with another couple on their tandem and made quite a stir with our tandem tandems.
6. Random edibles: banana candy from Vietnam. Think of a brown Gummy Bear mating with a Bit-o-Honey bar.
7. Finally found out the giver of my mysterious wedding gift. A wind chime and a giant fortune cookie appeared on my desk when I returned from my wedding trip. There was no card and no one that I asked know anything about it. Turned out to be one of the teachers on my staff, who realized that she had not included a card, became embarrassed, didn't tell me it was from her... etc... After a few days had passed, she got even more embarrassed. She finally, after about a month, she told a colleague, who in turn told me. I sent her a thank you card, apologizing for the lateness! HAHAHAHAHA!
8. I went to the store late last night, with a horrible hankering for some "Abuelita" brand Mexican chocolate. It makes the BEST cocoa! They didn't have it! Had to settle for a box of Junior Mints.
9. Gift pack from United Way, to thank me for being a teacher. Two pens, two pencils, sticky notes, and three Jolly Ranchers.
10. I got a sunburn during the Marathon last week, and am now peeling so horribly that people are looking at me, then looking away...
11. A former student came to the school last night and asked me if I remembered him. He shook my hand and then held it for a while while I was talking to his daughter-in-law. It was very heart-warming.
12. We have a little boy who will be staying in our babysitting room while his mother takes English classes. He is autistic and keens loudly for the entire time his mother is studying. I do not know how I am going to handle this.
13. Until Saturday, I am letting myself eat anything I want, 'cuz I just ran a Marathon, so there! I went and got a big ol' burger and fries from Wendy's today. I haven't eaten fast food in months! it was soo gooood!