Sunday, August 18, 2013

Accidental Jibe

I don't know much sailing terminology, but I am learning.  Today, we were up at Rockport Reservoir and I was sailing in my little Capri.  It has only one sail and everything is in easy reach, so I am using it to learn on.

The first time I went out, the winds were light.  I toodled sedately back and forth, entertaining our friends with my royal wave as they "oooooh-ed" and "ahhhhh-ed" from the shore 

The second time I went out was much brisker and quickly turned into a rodeo. 

I have heard stories about people getting hit on the head by the boom during an accidental jibe.  I imagined it being a sedate march of the boom from one side of the boat to the other.  Someone not watching carefully could get a thump on the noggin.  "Ouch!  What was that?"  "That was the boom, stupid!  Look out next time." Uh, no. Today, when it whizzed past my cranium with all the wind's force behind it I thought, "Hmmm...  that could kill ya'."

Different kind of "oooooh-ing" and "ahhhh-ing" from the spectators.

Chuck is talking about making me wear a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment