Monday, November 14, 2011
Well, I'm No Einstein...
2 C warm water (100-110 degrees F)
1 tsp. active dry yeast
about 6 1/2 C bread flour, divided
1 T barley malt syrup (What the fuck IS this? I searched high and low. Watch, it probably comes in a huge, expensive jar as well. The instructions say to omit it if you can't find it. My friend Cliff suggested using molasses instead. OK, we'll try that.)
2 tsp. kosher salt
12 C water
3/4 C sugar
8. Breathe a sigh of relief.
13. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
14. Combine 12 cups of water and 3/4 cup sugar in a pot, and bring to a boil. Get distracted by a very nasty phone call Chuck is receiving from his ex, and fail to take photos for several steps. Sorry! Gently lower three bagels into the pot. Cook for 30 seconds. Transfer bagels to a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Repeat the procedure with the remaining bagels while listening to Chuck's ex on speaker phone. Forget to put sesame seeds on, but this is the moment to do that if you are less absent minded than I and you want to.
15. Divide the bagels between 2 baking sheets (or, if you can't find two baking sheets, use a baking sheet and a pizza pan. Whatever.) lined with parchment paper. Bake at 450 degrees for 7 minutes. Rotate pans and bake for 7 minutes or until golden.
They are hot. They smell delicious.
17. Eat the paper. Good source of fiber.