Monday, January 2, 2012

Upstairs, Downstairs

First, I have to say that my words-of-the-week theme is "archaic words now seldom used".  Let's breathe life into these old dogs - I couldn't agree more.  So, today's word is "mickle".  "Mickle" means, "an abundance of something".  A commenter on the word site observed that, as a "thwaite" is a clearing in the trees, the town of Micklethwaite in England means "big-ish clearing in the trees".

Aw.  I googled Micklethwaite in the hope that I could provide a little visual irony, with photos depicting urban sprawl and council housing.  Sadly, Micklethwaite is darn cute.

I swept a mickle of leaves off my balcony tonight.  I was sorely tempted to just sweep them out into the world, disregarding the patio of the apartment directly below me.  Given that they are more than happy to share their mickle of f-bombs: "FUCK that, bitch!  You fuckin' dump me on Facebook?!?  FUUUUUCK!" and their cigarette smoke, I would love to... give back...

(Sigh)...I said, reaching for the dust pan.

1 comment:

  1. You are a better person than I. And thanks for the vocabulary expansion!

    ReplyDelete